Do you want to become a foster parent? Then you need to know the things you should prepare as a parent. Even if you have an experience about parenting or not, being a foster parent does is not an easy process. You have to undergo a test, meet requirements and all, so if you are planning to become a parent for a foster child. Then you should be knowledgeable in how to foster a child.
Here are the things you need to prepare before you go through the process of fostering a child with http://www.nextstepfostering.org. There are things that you should know and be prepared for, if you want to be successful in passing the test and fostering a child.
Parenting Test – you should be able to prepare in parenting test because they will be doing a test to all people who want to be a foster parent. They need to have the guts and pass the test before they can actually get the possibility of fostering a child. It would be helpful to be prepared at all times, because parenting is not an easy job to do. It requires your time, effort, emotions, physical and more. Everything about parenting is responsibility in how to take care of a child in your hands.
Requirements – have you ever tried checking a foster agency and ask what you will need in fostering a child? Then you might hear and see the requirements that a person needs to comply before they get the possibility of becoming a foster parent. They need to meet the expected requirement of the fostering agency, before they can actually try the test and all stuff about fostering. If the person who wants to be a foster parent, does not provide the details that is listed in the requirements, they will not be able to get the chance to foster a child because this is “how to foster a child” should require. They will not give the future of a foster child to an unreliable and irresponsible person; this is why the foster parents need to go through all the process. Just to make sure that they are really serious about the child and holds the future on it.
Physical and Emotional Health – as a parent of a foster child, you should be physically and emotionally healthy. You should always remember that a foster child has their own tragic history and having a family is the best way to take all their worries and experience away. If you are a foster parent with unhealthy physical and emotional mind, they you would be unhealthy for the foster child.
If you want to be a foster parent, you need to know from the basics in how to foster a child, be knowledgeable about parenting and how to make the child disciplined. As a foster parent, you should learn how to let them grow like any ordinary child and forget their sad experiences in life.
Foster parents are required to be responsible for a stable and caring environment for their foster kids. These kids are in need of temporary places to live in because they do not get it at their own homes. Their parents may not have been able to provide satisfactory care or a safe place to live in. Fostering in London with an agency like Next Step Fostering requires the same steps taken by anyone from some other countries. So, what are these things you need to keep in mind?
Who are these foster kids?
- Babies to teenagers up to 18 years old.
- Comes from the different ethnic groups in London.
- Diverse backgrounds (religious, ethnic, racial, cultural).
- They are in the foster system by court order or with their family’s consent.
Some parents place their kids into the foster system willingly because:
- A parent or both parents are ill.
- The family can no longer provide the necessary care required.
- The family cannot handle the emotional, physical or developmental illnesses of the child.
Facts about foster care:
As mentioned, fostering in London is similar to fostering somewhere else. Here are some general facts about fostering.
- As a foster parent, you have to provide a loving and compassionate family atmosphere.
- You are eligible to fostering in London despite your marital status.
- Coming from a different background or culture does not matter. Although it will be taken into consideration when matching you with a foster child.
- You need to be resilient, understanding and patient. You need to fully understand your role and the expectations thrust on you. You also have to be ready for the challenges you might face while fostering.
- There are some foster children who only need care for a few days. On the other hand, there are some who needs to be fostered for a few months or even for several years.
- The system continues to work on returning the child to their biological family. If this is no longer possible, the agency will work with the foster family in making alternative plans (permanent or adoption plans).
Fostering in London also entails different types of foster homes. These include:
- Relief Foster Care. As a break for regular and full-time foster families, relief foster homes offer a temporary break. However, this only usually lasts for a matter of days. This type of fostering may appeal to those who only wish to foster part-time.
- Regular Foster Care. This fostering arrangement is the most common. Foster families are mandated to provide the day-today-day needs of the child within their care. This arrangement may just last for a few days, or a few weeks, but most often, it lasts a couple of months.
- Temporary Care and Kinship Care. Temporary and kinship care are types of fostering provided by someone familiar to the child – such as a relative or a family friend. It is just like regular fostering but this type of foster home caters to specific needs of the child.
- Customary Care. This is an alternate care given to native children by the native community. Fostering in London using customary care allows the child to keep their cultural ties and family relationships.
- Specialized Foster Care. There are foster children who require specialized care. These are children who suffer from physical, behavioral or emotional problems. In a specialized foster environment, the parents must have the necessary skills and experience to deal with these challenges.
- Treatment Foster Care. Children who require tremendously high essentials and are in complex situations are placed in treatment foster cares. The foster parents in this type of foster care are all extremely trained in dealing with these situations.
Fostering could be one of the greatest challenges you would ever encounter. However, it could also be very rewarding. Make sure to keep the facts above in mind. Take the step into becoming a foster parent and help change the lives of children.
Supporting a child through Fostering
We always want what is best for our children. That is the reason why we are striving hard it may in our work or in our home. Guiding them into their journey is one of the greatest tasks that we venture into. Securing them to achieve their goals is our battle. Seeing our child that their face painted with smile and satisfaction would erase all our worries and could light up our day. But as they grow, they want to flap their wings and would soar. They want to discover things within their ability and capability. But today some parents could no longer support children. Others would resort on leaving those children in Foster Cares. While others choose to abandon them. Today even statistics show that there a lot of children who are abandoned. The reason for this is families’ stability in financial aspect. We cannot blame their parents because they also think that if that child could have a brighter future in by Foster Care. Fostering agencies is where an abandoned child would continue fulfilling the dream that was cut short. It helps the child to start, to continue moving forward. That is what fostering agencies do.
What do fostering agencies do?
Around the globe there are about 153 million orphans and just about estimated 17 million stays in orphanages and under foster care. This figure is being provided by the UNICEF as of 2011. There are already private and government-owned fostering agencies like Next Step Fostering that continue to cater children. We already know what is the main objective of fostering agencies is. Now let us dig deep about fostering agencies. Fostering agencies give a child an avenue of moving forward. They also assess the psychological, emotional and social aspects of a child to help them recover. From the traumatic experiences or events that the child has undergone. They just do not just focused on the physical as well as securing the child upbringing. It is how a fostering agency does. They never child help the child, but as well they prepare them for their future. Amid of the sacrifices and the experiences they have. If fostering agencies would continue those big numbers would continue to decrease and responsible and a happy child would be seen. Fostering agencies put up smile to every child whose dream started to fade. And they live in their purpose of being a foster of abandoned one.
It is always what we want our children security, stability and the bright future. To help them be prepared and to be combative in our society. Seeing them prepared in their future is our achievement. And it is not an easy task, yet fostering agencies and their staff proves to us that people do care for our future. They extend their helping hands and guiding the children towards a future that they have dreamed of. Not just that fostering gives love to the children that nurtures them and let them felt what they have missed because they deserves it.
Have you been thinking of fostering a child? Yes everyone can foster a child, whether you are up to become a foster parent or foster carers, you can get a foster child like your own. But there are things you should consider before you take a step to that, fostering in London is not just taking a child with you for support, it is how you take care of them to teach them how to become a good person in the future. But before planning, you might want to take a peak for the 3 basic things you will need in fostering a child. Here are the things that foster carers at Next Step Fostering need to prepare for fostering in London.
- Home to stay – of course, you need to get your home prepared for your foster child to stay. It would be best to make an extra space in your house for your foster child room. Keeping them feel welcome and reserving a room for them will make them feel comfortable living with you and they would also feel that they are open to stay in your home like it is their own. Right from the start that you knew you are able to get that foster child, you should prepare your room for a new member of your family is going to live with you.
- Stability to provide foster child needs – before you think of getting a foster child to live with you, you should also think for yourself too, like if you are stable enough to live in your own and can sustain your needs. It is important to make your foster child live with you comfortably, but if you can’t even sustain yourself, then you are not ready yet to get your foster child live with you. The foster agency would also not approve those people who want to have a foster child with them, who are not stable enough to sustain their needs as well as the foster child. It does not mean that foster child needs a mansion to stay at home and live with you, they just need exact place to stay where they can live a normal life like every kid does.
- Able to provide support for the foster child both mental and physical – the foster child don’t just need a home and stable income for you to take care of them. They need your support in both physical and mental mind. Taking care of them and spending time to let them feel the love of a foster carer would make them feel better, or maybe heal them from time to time of their past.
These basic things you need to provide to a foster child are just the first things you need to look forward, before you thought of fostering in London. You should be able to meet the requirements and pass the fostering agency trainings. There are more things to prepare in fostering a child, not just the place, but your physical and mental health too.