How to Become an Effective Foster Carer
Foster parents are required to be responsible for a stable and caring environment for their foster kids. These kids are in need of temporary places to live in because they do not get it at their own homes. Their parents may not have been able to provide satisfactory care or a safe place to live in. Fostering in London with an agency like Next Step Fostering requires the same steps taken by anyone from some other countries. So, what are these things you need to keep in mind?
Who are these foster kids?
- Babies to teenagers up to 18 years old.
- Comes from the different ethnic groups in London.
- Diverse backgrounds (religious, ethnic, racial, cultural).
- They are in the foster system by court order or with their family’s consent.
Some parents place their kids into the foster system willingly because:
- A parent or both parents are ill.
- The family can no longer provide the necessary care required.
- The family cannot handle the emotional, physical or developmental illnesses of the child.
Facts about foster care:
As mentioned, fostering in London is similar to fostering somewhere else. Here are some general facts about fostering.
- As a foster parent, you have to provide a loving and compassionate family atmosphere.
- You are eligible to fostering in London despite your marital status.
- Coming from a different background or culture does not matter. Although it will be taken into consideration when matching you with a foster child.
- You need to be resilient, understanding and patient. You need to fully understand your role and the expectations thrust on you. You also have to be ready for the challenges you might face while fostering.
- There are some foster children who only need care for a few days. On the other hand, there are some who needs to be fostered for a few months or even for several years.
- The system continues to work on returning the child to their biological family. If this is no longer possible, the agency will work with the foster family in making alternative plans (permanent or adoption plans).
Fostering in London also entails different types of foster homes. These include:
- Relief Foster Care. As a break for regular and full-time foster families, relief foster homes offer a temporary break. However, this only usually lasts for a matter of days. This type of fostering may appeal to those who only wish to foster part-time.
- Regular Foster Care. This fostering arrangement is the most common. Foster families are mandated to provide the day-today-day needs of the child within their care. This arrangement may just last for a few days, or a few weeks, but most often, it lasts a couple of months.
- Temporary Care and Kinship Care. Temporary and kinship care are types of fostering provided by someone familiar to the child – such as a relative or a family friend. It is just like regular fostering but this type of foster home caters to specific needs of the child.
- Customary Care. This is an alternate care given to native children by the native community. Fostering in London using customary care allows the child to keep their cultural ties and family relationships.
- Specialized Foster Care. There are foster children who require specialized care. These are children who suffer from physical, behavioral or emotional problems. In a specialized foster environment, the parents must have the necessary skills and experience to deal with these challenges.
- Treatment Foster Care. Children who require tremendously high essentials and are in complex situations are placed in treatment foster cares. The foster parents in this type of foster care are all extremely trained in dealing with these situations.
Fostering could be one of the greatest challenges you would ever encounter. However, it could also be very rewarding. Make sure to keep the facts above in mind. Take the step into becoming a foster parent and help change the lives of children.